All properties zoned for single family, two-family or multifamily may be eligible to build ADUs.
Number of units
The number of ADUs you’re able to build depends on how your lot is zoned:
- Lots zoned for single family use may add 1 ADU and 1 Jr. ADU (JADU).
- Lots zoned for two-family or multi-family may add up to 2 detached ADUs per lot or up to 25% of the existing units in the building if conversions of existing non-living space.
The maximum ADU you can build depends on the ADU type:
- The maximum size is 500 sq. ft. for a JADU
- 850 sq. ft. for a one bedroom detached ADU
- 1,000 sq. ft. for a 2 bedroom detached ADU
- Maximum allowable size is the lesser of the stated values or 50% of the existing dwelling; 3Br units have maximum of 1200 sq. ft.
- Attached ADUs can be 1,000 sq. ft. or 50% of the existing area of the primary dwelling, whichever is greater.
Detached ADUs can reach a maximum height of 16 feet. Attached ADU max height is greater of 16 ft. or applicable zone's maximum height.
Minimum setbacks of 4 feet from the side and rear lot lines, as well as 5 feet from any existing structures are required for detached ADUs.
One parking spot required unless any of the following true:
- The accessory dwelling unit is located within one-half mile walking distance of public transit.
- The accessory dwelling unit is located within an architecturally and historically significant historic district.
- The accessory dwelling unit is part of the proposed or existing primary residence or an accessory structure.
- When on-street parking permits are required but not offered to the occupant of the accessory dwelling unit.
- When there is a car share vehicle located within one block of the accessory dwelling unit.
Owner occupancy is not a requirement for permitting an ADU from January 1, 2020 until January 1, 2025. This is a great opportunity for rental property owners to increase their yields in a cost-effective way.
While long-term rentals are permitted for ADUs, short-term rentals (e.g. Airbnb for less than 30 days) are not permitted in the city.
Are you in a creek protection area? Do you have a utility easement over your property? Reach out to us and we’ll help you build a custom ADU to fit your unique property characteristics and local regulations!