Glendale - ADU Opportunities Left and Right
Whether your property is closer to the Americana at Brand or closer to Forest Lawn, Glendale presents a prime Accessory Dwelling Unit opportunity with local homeowners. Reach out to our team to learn more.
All properties zoned for single family and multifamily use may be eligible to build ADUs.
Number of units
Lots zoned for single family use that have an existing dwelling are permitted to add 1 ADU and 1 Junior ADU (JADU).
Maximum square footage is determined by your ADU type:
- 500 sq. ft. for a Junior ADU (JADU)
- 1,000 sq. ft. for a detached ADU (unless limited by local zoning rules)
- 50% of existing dwelling, or none if new building. Exception: A new construction attached or detached accessory dwelling unit shall be permitted that is eight hundred (800) square feet or less in size, provides four (4) foot minimum interior setbacks and does not exceed sixteen (16) feet in height.
Detached ADUs and Attached ADUs are limited to 1 story and cannot be built above a garage or carport. The state standard for building height allows for 16' for a single story ADU.
Minimum setbacks of 4 feet from the side and rear lot lines, as well as 10 feet from any existing structures are required for detached ADUs.
One parking spot required unless any of the following true:
- The accessory dwelling unit is located within one-half mile walking distance of public transit
- The accessory dwelling unit is located within an architecturally and historically significant historic district.
- The accessory dwelling unit is part of the proposed or existing primary residence or an accessory structure.
- When on-street parking permits are required but not offered to the occupant of the accessory dwelling unit.
- When there is a car share vehicle located within one block of the accessory dwelling unit.
Owner occupancy is not a requirement for permitting an ADU from January 1, 2020 until January 1, 2025. This is a great opportunity for rental property owners to increase their yields in a cost-effective way.
While long-term rentals are permitted for ADUs, short-term rentals (e.g. Airbnb for less than 30 days) are not permitted in Glendale.
Do you have a utility easement over your property? Are you in a FEMA flood zone? Reach out to us and we’ll help you build a custom ADU to fit your unique property characteristics and local regulations!