Burbank - Accessory Dwelling Units have the Green Light
With its generally flat residential blocks, Burbank is a prime area for Accessory Dwelling Unit development. Whether you're closer to the airport or towards the Glendale side, Cottage has you covered. Reach out to our team to learn more.
All properties zoned for single family and multifamily use may be eligible to build ADUs.
Number of units
Lots zoned for single family use that have an existing dwelling are permitted to add 1 ADU and 1 Junior ADU (JADU).
Maximum square footage is determined by your ADU type:
- 500 sq. ft. for a Junior ADU (JADU)
- 1,000 sq. ft. for a detached ADU (850 sq. ft. if 1 bedroom or studio)
- 1,000 sq. ft. for an attached ADU (850 sq. ft. if 1 bedroom or studio)
- 800 sq. ft. maximum in the mountain fire zone.
ADUs attached to the main dwelling have a height limit of 20 feet to the top of plate and 30 feet to the top of the roof or architectural feature(s).
When a detached ADU is built on top of a garage, an accessory structure, or another ADU, the height is limited to 20 feet to top of plate and 23 feet to top of roof or architectural feature(s).
When an ADU is not built on top of another structure or when it is not attached to a single-family dwelling, it is limited to one story with a maximum height of 12 feet to top of plate and 17 feet to the top of roof or architectural feature(s).
Minimum setbacks of 4 feet from the side and rear lot lines, as well as 5 feet from any existing structures are required for detached ADUs.
- Parking for an ADU is not required when the property is located within one-half mile walking distance from public transit or when the street requires a parking permit.
- When an existing parking structure is demolished or converted to facilitate the construction of an ADU, that parking does not have to be replaced.
- When an ADU is not exempt from required parking, one covered/uncovered space per ADU shall be provided onsite.
Owner occupancy is not a requirement for permitting an ADU from January 1, 2020 until January 1, 2025. This is a great opportunity for rental property owners to increase their yields in a cost-effective way.
While long-term rentals are permitted for ADUs, short-term rentals (e.g. Airbnb for less than 30 days) are not permitted in Burbank.
Do you have a utility easement over your property? Are you in a FEMA flood zone? Reach out to us and we’ll help you build a custom ADU to fit your unique property characteristics and local regulations!